Notice of Recruitment
Fourth Judicial District
Attorney Magistrate Judge - Ada County
The Magistrates Commission of the Fourth Judicial District is seeking applicants for the position of Magistrate Judge for Ada County. This position is designated as a Family Law assignment, available October 1, 2015, and chambered at the Ada County Courthouse in Boise, Idaho.
Effective July 1, 2015, to be apointed to the office of magistrate judge, a person must, at the time of appointment, meet all of the following qualifications:
- Be at least thirty (30) years of age;
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Have been a legal resident of the state of Idaho for at least two (2) continuous years immediately preceding such appointment;
- Have been in good standing as an active or judicial member of the Idaho state bar for at least two (2) continuous years immediately preceding such appointment;
- Have held a license to practice law or held a judicial office in one (1) or more jurisdictions for at least five (5) continuous years immediately preceding such appointment;
- Be a qualified elector of the State of Idaho; and
- After appointment, reside in the county for which the magistrate judge is appointed.
The appointee may be assigned to hear cases throughout the judicial district and may also be assigned outside the district by the Idaho Supreme Court. The annual salary for the position is $112,000.00, plus State benefits.
Application forms are available by U.S. mail or from the Courtís web site by clicking on the link above. You may also request an application from:
Larry D. Reiner
Trial Court Administrator
Fourth Judicial District Court
200 W. Front St.
Boise, ID 83702-7300
Instructions to Magistrate Applicants
All application materials for this position must be received by the Trial Court Administrator of the Fourth Judicial District at the address listed above no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, October 30, 2015. Do not attach writing samples or any other documents not specifically required by this application.
Late applications will not be accepted. Applications will not be accepted by FAX or e-mail.
Please keep the following in mind when submitting your application:
- No more than five (5) letters of reference/recommendation shall be submitted with the application and will not be accepted thereafter.
- Do not submit writing samples with your application.
- Do not submit writing samples, letters of reference/recommendation or other documents to commission members.
- Applicants shall NOT have direct, personal contact with Magistrate Commission members unless initiated by Commission members.
- Magistrate Commission members shall determine individually whether or not to accept contact from applicant supporters outside of commission proceedings.
- In addition to the criminal history and tax board checks conducted on all applicants by the IdahoSupreme Court, the Fourth Judicial District Magistrate Commission requires that each applicant submit a completed credit report with their magistrate application. The cost of the credit report shall be the responsibility of the individual candidate, and the completed credit report shall be attached to or included with the magistrate application when submitted to the Trial Court Administrator. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Again, any letters of reference or recommendation must be submitted to the Trial Court Administrator no later than 5:00 p.m. on October 30, 2015. Letters of reference/recommendation received after this date will not be considered.
- All applications and any documents submitted therewith or submitted during the application process will be destroyed and not returned to you once the Commission has appointed a magistrate judge.
After the closing date, the names of all applicants will be made public, and the public and the Bar will be invited to comment upon the qualifications of all applicants. Bar ratings are confidential.